This seven-story residence hall, opened in 1959, was extensively remodeled in 1997 into single, two- and four-person suites for men and women. Each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU; an honors program community is based here, and students must maintain a minimum GPA.
In 1998 the cafeteria/dining hall was renovated and expanded for use as the Visitor Center and the Office of Admissions. The admissions office has since moved its visitor operations to the Jayhawk Welcome Center.
Named for Olin Templin (1861-1943), a mathematics graduate who during his KU tenure from 1883 to 1943 was professor of philosophy, dean of the College, chair of the Alumni Association, and secretary of the KU Endowment Association. He also was instrumental in establishing scholarship and residence halls.
The first Templin Hall, originally Brynwood Manor at 14th and Louisiana streets, was built just after the Civil War and demolished in 1959. Sprague Apartments for retired faculty now occupies the site.
Templin Residence Hall
1515 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045