Aerial view of campus buildings

Places Directory

This directory provides the proper names of Lawrence campus buildings, landmarks, and notable spaces — as well as the history behind them. If you spot an error or an oversight, please email


Multidisciplinary Research Building

Construction began on the $40 million, three-story research center in fall 2004, and it was dedicated March 6, 2006.

Front view of the modern-designed Multidisciplinary Research Building

Murphy Hall

A long campaign for a dedicated building for the performing arts culminated in 1957, when the music and theater departments moved into the new Murphy Hall.

View from the lawn to the south of Murphy Hall on KU’s Lawrence campus

National Register of Historic Places

In April 2013, the University of Kansas Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places, after being listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places in February 2013.


Nichols Hall

The $2.4 million hall, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park, opened in fall 1971 and was dedicated Sept. 29, 1972. It was named for Raymond F.


Nunemaker Center

Built in 1971 with a gift of $415,000 from Irene Nunemaker, a 1922 graduate in journalism who became a cosmetics executive and consultant, it was designed by 1928 architecture alumnus Clarence Kivett of Kivett & Myers of Kansas City, MO.

Nunemaker Center’s front entrance. The name Nunemaker is found on the top left of corner of the building’s front face

Oregon Trail Marker

The bronze medallion of this marker, 16.5 inches in diameter, bears the image of a conestoga wagon pulled by oxen and guided by a pioneer.

A close-up of the bronze medallion and plaque on the Oregon Trail Marker

Oswald Residence Hall

The southern of two five-story, freshman-focused residence halls designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence, Oswald houses men and women in single-, two- and four-person suites; it is part of a quadrangle with

The exterior of Oswald Hall

Parker Hall

Along with Moore and Hambleton halls, this hall on the West District of campus houses offices of the Kansas Geological Survey.


Parrott Athletic Center

The Parrott facility, completed in 1970 and renovated in 1993, houses Kansas Athletics Inc. offices for senior administrative and business staff, Media Relations, and the Williams Educational Fund.


Pearson Scholarship Hall

Raymond Coolidge, a 1924 graduate and former Kansas state architect, designed this brick scholarship hall. It houses men in two-person suites and opened in fall 1952; a renovation was completed in 1992.


Pharmaceutical Chemistry Laboratories

This one-story building of laboratories and offices was built in 1968 and acquired by the university from KU Endowment in June 1991. 


Phog Allen

This bronze of KU coaching great Forrest C. “Phog” Allen, dressed in an athlete’s sweatsuit and holding a basketball, is 8 feet 8 inches tall.

A dusting of snow on the Phog Allen statue with Booth Hall in the background

Pioneer Cemetery

Chancellor Franklin Murphy and his two daughters “rediscovered” Pioneer Cemetery during a spring 1952 walk on undeveloped property west of Iowa Street and south of Irving Hill Road.

Natural Places

Potter Lake

Potter Lake is the setting for many picturesque photos taken by KU students who study or relax on its banks. In 1910, the Kansas Board of Regents decided to construct a reservoir on the north side of campus to be used as a water source in case of fire.

Natural Places

Prairie Acre

Prairie Acre was officially established in 1932 on the hillside south of Blake and Twente halls. It is the last native prairie remnant on the Lawrence campus.