Aerial view of campus buildings

Places Directory

This directory provides the proper names of Lawrence campus buildings, landmarks, and notable spaces — as well as the history behind them. If you spot an error or an oversight, please email


KU Center for Design Research

This facility for collaborative research in sustainable energy, which adjoins Chamney House on the south, was dedicated July 16, 20

Design Research, Center for

KU Endowment Building

In April 1998 KU Endowment moved to this $5 million, 52,000-square-foot building in the West District designed by Nearing Staats Prelogar Jones of Prairie Village. It is at least the third home of the Endowment, established in 1891 as the first foundation of its kind at a U.S.


KU Innovation Park

Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed this two-story, 20,000-square-foot building, formerly known as the Bioscience & Technology Business Center, northwest of the School of Pharmacy, and construction began in the fall 2009.

aerial view of KU Innovation Park

Kurata Building

The 5,000-square-foot building, dedicated Oct. 27, 1990, was designed by Hicks-Messick & Associates of Lawrence. It is named for Fred Kurata, a professor of chemical and petroleum engineering 1947-78 who held two distinguished professorships and was a leader in thermodynamics research.


Learned Hall

The first building in the Engineering Complex, it is of yellow-brick and crab-orchard limestone and was designed by Brinkman & Hagan.

•	Courtyard in front of Learned Hall on KU Lawrence campus

Lewis Residence Hall

This hall was partly funded by the estate of Lawrence merchant and philanthropist Luther N. Lewis (1865-1933) and his widow, Lucene Barker Lewis, who died in 1956; both attended KU in the 1880s.

Lewis Residence Hall on Daisy Hill on a sunny afternoon

Library Annex

The annex, designed by PGAV Architects of Westwood and opened in 2006, can house up to 1.6 million volumes from the KU Libraries’ collections. The climate-controlled storage area has nearly 7,900 square feet of shelving in units 35 feet tall.


Lied Center

The center, which opened in September 1993, was built largely with $10 million from the Lied Foundation Trust and is dedicated to Ernst M. and Ida K. Lied, parents of Ernst F. Lied (d. 1980).

the Lied Center on a clear, sunny day

Life Science Research Laboratories Complex

This complex, about three miles west of the main KU campus on the southwest corner of Wakarusa Drive and Bob Billings Parkway, serves as the headquarters and laboratories of KU’s Center for Environmentally Beneficial Catalysis. The CEBC office is in Building A on the upper level.


Lindley Hall

Completed in 1943, the limestone hall was named for Ernest H. Lindley, chancellor 1920-39, who died shortly after retiring. It is sited on the crest of Mount Oread traversed by the Oregon Trail, denoted by a historical marker.

a student walking towards Lindley Hall passes near a tree with changing leaves

Lindley Hall Relief Sculptures

Elements of Art Moderne and Art Deco combine on the facade of Lindley Hall.

side entrance to Lindley Hall with relief sculptures above the doors

Lippincott Hall

This Greco-Roman columned stone building was designed by State Architect John F. Stanton and dedicated Nov. 3, 1905. By student request it was named for James Woods Green, for 41 years (1879-1919) the beloved dean of the School of Law.

the front entrance of Lippincott Hall on a snowy day

Maintenance & Surplus Property

This facility is used for construction and maintenance projects and storage of tools, equipment, and supplies by the Student Housing department.


Maintenance Shop

Part of the Facilities Operations Complex, this building houses offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.


Malott Gateway

Robert H. Malott and his wife, Elizabeth Hubert Malott, donated $1 million to create this gateway on the western edge of the main campus in honor of his parents, former Chancellor Deane W. Malott and Eleanor Sisson Malott.