Aerial view of campus buildings

Places Directory

This directory provides the proper names of Lawrence campus buildings, landmarks, and notable spaces — as well as the history behind them. If you spot an error or an oversight, please email


Malott Hall

At its dedication Nov. 5, 1954, this limestone building was named in honor of Deane W. Malott, the dynamic native Kansan and 1921 economics and journalism alumnus who was the eighth chancellor (1939-51).

Malott Hall on KU’s Lawrence campus
Natural Places

Marvin Grove

An area established by some of KU's earliest students and faculty, the grove provides 10 acres of mature trees and grounds, which students use as a study and picnic spot.


Marvin Hall

State Architect John F. Stanton designed this Oread limestone building, which opened in 1909 at what was then the extreme west end of campus.

Aerial view of Marvin Hall and the trees that line its front entrance

Marvin Studios

This small, winged building south of Marvin Hall was designed by State Architects Ray Stookley and Charles L. Marshall and built in 1942 by Works Progress Administration and National Youth Administration crews.


Max Kade Center for German-American Studies

Bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24, this limestone house was built for him in 1927 by the Kansas City architectural firm of Buckley & van Brunt.

Tudor-style house on KU Lawrence Campus that houses the Max Kade Center for German-American Studies

McCarthy Hall

This three-story, $11.2-million apartment building opened in October 2015 to house the 16-member men’s basketball team, about 20 older men students, and a resident director in two-bedroom/two-bath and four-bedroom/ two-bath apartments.


McCollum Laboratory

Named for Burton McCollum (1880-1964), a 1903 graduate in electrical engineering who made pioneering discoveries in sound-wave exploration and geophysics, this interdisciplinary research facility was funded by his estate and by income from more than 30 patents.


Memorial Campanile & Carillon

After World War II, Chancellor Deane Malott and others were determined to build a memorial to members of the KU community who died in the conflict. They did not want it simply to fulfill a need, as was the case with the union and the stadium after World War I.

Sunset peeking through the top of the Campanile on KU’s Lawrence campus

Memorial Campanile Doors of Memory and Doors of Kansas

Bernard "Poco" Frazier (1906-76) was a 1929 design graduate who in the early 1940s established the first KU classes in sculpture; he left the university for a number of years but returned in 1956 as sculptor-in-residence and later professor of sculpture.

Close-up of KU Campanile door sculptures

Memorial Drive

This W-shaped drive runs from West Campus Road east to Mississippi Street north of Snow

Aerial view of Memorial Drive from above the Campanile

Military Science Building

Construction began in spring 1941 on this Works Progress Administration project and was completed by legislative appropriations after the WPA was disbanded.

The building — faced with limestone from old Snow Hall, demolished in 1934 — was completed Nov. 1, 1943.

Limestone-faced building with blue sign out front that reads Military Science

Miller Scholarship Hall

In 1936 Elizabeth Miller Watkins donated $75,000 to build a twin immediately south of Watkins Scholarship Hall, which she had

Sunlight peeks from behind Miller Scholarship Hall, a large, columned residence on KU campus

Mississippi Street Parking Garage

Opened in August 2000, it has 818 stalls on several levels and entrances on Mississippi Street and Oread Avenue.


Moore Hall

This building, housing the Kansas Geological Survey, was designed by Thomas, Johnson, Isley and dedicated Feb. 2, 1973.



This filigreed bronze, evoking the image on the University seal, was planned to complement the stained-glass window “Burning Bush,” desi

o	Shadowed outline of Elden C. Tefft’s “Moses” sculpture in front of Smith Hall’s Burning Bush stained glass window