Aerial view of campus buildings

Places Directory

This directory provides the proper names of Lawrence campus buildings, landmarks, and notable spaces — as well as the history behind them. If you spot an error or an oversight, please email


Vietnam War Memorial

On May 25, 1986, KU's Vietnam War Memorial, the first on-campus commemoration in the nation, was dedicated. It honors 59 students and alumni who died or were declared missing in the conflict.

A closeup of the Vietnam War Memorial on Memorial Drive

Wagnon Student-Athlete Center

Major renovations and additions to the Allen Fieldhouse complex in 2009 enhanced this service center for student athletes, coaches and staff, and KU Athletics. The name honors donor Ken Wagnon.


Wakarusa Research Facility

The 20,432-square-foot building provides research and testing space for KU’s Biobehavioral Research on Autism, Intellectual and Neurodevelopmental disabilities (BRAIN) Lab.



Part of the Facilities Services Complex, the building has offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, locksmiths, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.


Water Carrier

This bronze sculpture, 8 feet tall and weighing 3,000 pounds, signifies the importance of water to all living things. It is the gift of Clarence J. and Hazel M.

The Water Carrier sculpture on a winter day

Watkins Health Services

By the 1960s, the university had outgrown Watkins Memorial Hospital, opened in January 1932.

An exterior shot of Watkins Health Services building

Watkins Home

In 1937 Elizabeth M. Watkins donated funds for a residence for nurses working at Watkins Memorial Hospital, immediately north of this building; it served that purpose until 1974. The stone building was designed by State Architect Raymond Coolidge.


Watkins Scholarship Hall

In 1925, Elizabeth Miller Watkins gave $75,000 to fully fund and maintain the first KU women’s scholarship hall, to be named for her late husband, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins.

Watkins Scholarship Hall is a yellow brick, colonial-style hall for women. It was KU’s first scholarship hall, opening in 1926

Watson Library

Opened Sept. 11, 1924, this Collegiate Gothic-style limestone building was named for Carrie M. Watson, an 1877 and 1880 alumna who was university librarian 1887-1921. It was designed by George L. Chandler and State Architect Ray L. Gamble.

An exterior photograph of Watson Library

Weaver Courtyard

The Arthur D. Weaver Memorial Fountain Court on the south side of Spooner Hall was dedicated June 20, 1960, in memory of the longtime Lawrence department-store owner. It was the gift of son Arthur B. Weaver and daughter Amarette W.


Wescoe Hall

Wescoe Hall houses administrative and academic offices and classrooms for liberal arts and humanities departments.

An exterior photograph of Wescoe Hall, with lilacs blooming in front

Woodyard Plaza

This small plaza between Wescoe Hall and Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria is paved in brick and has three benches.

Students sit on a bench in Woodyard Plaza, a small brick-paved area between Wescoe Hall and Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria

Youngberg Hall

Designed by Neville, Sharp & Simon of Kansas City and completed in 1960, this brick building originally housed the Center for Research in Engineering Science, which became the Center for Research Inc. in 1962.