Aerial view of campus buildings

Places Directory

This directory provides the proper names of Lawrence campus buildings, landmarks, and notable spaces — as well as the history behind them. If you spot an error or an oversight, please email


Bales Organ Recital Hall

The cathedral-like hall, which was dedicated in October 1996, adjoins the Lied Center on the northwest and shares a lobby with the center.


Battenfeld Scholarship Hall

This scholarship hall was the first men’s residence hall built at the university. It was the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse R. Battenfeld of Kansas City in memory of their son John Curry Battenfeld, killed in a car accident in December 1939.

front entrance of Battenfeld Scholarship Hall

Blake Hall

The first hall on this site was a physics building designed by State Architect Seymour Davis in imitation of a French chateau admired by its namesake, physics professor Lucien I. Blake.

exterior of Blake Hall

Booth Family Hall of Athletics

The two-story, 26,000-square-foot facility on the east face of the fieldhouse was designed by HOK Sport+Venue+Event of Kansas City, Mo., and opened Jan. 21, 2006.


Bridwell Botany Research Laboratory

Ronald L. McGregor, herbarium director 1954-88, oversaw a huge expansion of the botanical collections founded by Francis H. Snow, KU's first professor of natural history.


Broadcasting Hall KPR

Opened in September 2003, the building houses Kansas Public Radio, a consortium of Kansas public-radio stations of which KANU 91.5-FM is the flagship.


Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria

Named for Gene A. Budig, chancellor 1981-94, and dedicated Oct. 31, 1997, it replaced the building that was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style by State Architect Charles D. Cuthbert and that opened as University Auditorium in 1927; it was named in 1938 for former Kansas Gov.

bus passing Budig Hall on Jayhawk Boulevard

Burge Union

The original Burge Union, which opened in 1979, was razed in 2016. This new building, also named for longtime director of the KU unions Frank R. Burge, replaces it.

jayhawk statue in front courtyard outside Burge Union

Capitol Federal Hall

The four-story Capitol Federal Hall, home of the School of Business, opened in June 2016.

students walk past Capitol Federal Hall

Carruth-O’Leary Hall

This building opened in 1955 as a men's residence hall and was converted in 1965 to offices and classrooms for academic departments including English, classics, and Romance languages.


Central District Utility Plant

The Central District Utility Plant (CUP) provides infrastructure support for KU’s Central District. The CUP, which opened in 2018, is adjacent to the Central District Parking Garage and to Gray-Little Hall, KU’s integrated science and research hub.


Chalmers Hall

This building to house visual arts studios, classrooms and academic offices was designed by Paul Krause, a 1956 alumnus and principal at Horner & Krause of Kansas City, KS. Construction began in 1977 on the hilltop south of Marvin Hall.


Chamney House

In September 1963, KU Endowment acquired this property of 130 acres, house, barn, and outbuildings from the Chamney family, leading Lawrence dairy farmers since 1912.


Chancellor’s Residence 'The Outlook'

In 1912, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins (1845-1921) built the three-story, 26-room house, designed by W.J. Mitchell, for himself and his wife, Elizabeth Miller Watkins. She lived in the home until her death in 1939, bequeathing it to the university as a chancellor’s residence.

The Chancellor's building

Chi Omega Fountain

The fountain was authorized in October 1952 as a memorial to alumnae on the 50th anniversary of the founding of Lambda chapter at KU.

Chi Omega Fountain