Aerial view of campus buildings

Places Directory

This directory provides the proper names of Lawrence campus buildings, landmarks, and notable spaces — as well as the history behind them. If you spot an error or an oversight, please email


Classic Jayhawk

Katie Kring, 2003

In 2003 the Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau sponsored “Jayhawks on Parade,” a five-month exhibit of 5-foot, molded fiberglass Jayhawks decorated in themes including Vincent van Gogh, patchwork quilts, cubism, mosaics, and abstractionism.

Classic Jayhawk

Construction & Landscape Building

Part of the Facilities Services Complex, it has offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.


Corbin Residence Hall

Opened in 1923 as the first residence hall at KU, the women’s hall was named in honor of Alberta Corbin, an 1893 alumna and professor of German who was a suffragist leader, adviser of women, and an advocate of women’s housing.


Crawford Community Center

The 1892 home of Juanita Strait, bequeathed to KU Endowment at her death in 2002, was refurbished as a community center for the scholarship halls that surround it and an office and apartment for the complex director.


Daisy Hill Commons

Daisy Hill Commons, which connects Self and Oswald residence halls, is an academic service center and community kitchen.


Danforth Chapel

William H. Danforth, chair of Ralston Purina Co., provided the largest donation for the chapel through his foundation; the rest of the funding and most of the furnishings were donated by faculty, students, alumni, and Lawrence residents.

Danforth Chapel from outside

David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium

Dedicated Nov 11, 1922, to honor the 127 men and two women from the university's students, faculty, staff, and alumni who died in World War I, the stadium has been renamed the David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium in honor of an alumnus who has donated $50 million toward the estimated $350 million

Home to KU football, David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium is a focus of KU pride

DeBruce Center

The center houses James Naismith's original "Rules of Basket Ball" and has a student center, the Courtside Cafe and a coffee bar, a gift shop, a nutrition center for the men's and women's basketball teams, and meeting rooms.

The DeBruce Center is the hub for KU basketball, along with student and KU fan amenities

Docking Family Gateway

Alumni Jill S. Docking and Tom Docking of Wichita gave $500,000 toward the construction of a gateway at the northeast edge of the main campus, near the Kansas Union. It comprises a fountain, brick pylon and plantings fitted into an oval stone surround.

The pylon and fountain at the northeast edge of Jayhawk Boulevard are the Docking Family Gateway

Dole Human Development Center

The center was dedicated Aug. 25, 1990, and named in honor of Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole, an advocate for people with disabilities.

the Dole Human Development Center is home to offices that focus on improving the quality of life for the KU and surrounding community

Dole Institute of Politics

This west campus building, dedicated in July 2003, is named for former Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole. The $11 million, 28,000-square-foot facility, designed by ASIA of Lenexa, houses papers from Dole’s 35-year career and is the world’s largest congressional archive.

The entrance to the Dole Institute of Politics reflects in the still surface of a pool at the front of the building

Douthart Scholarship Hall

This hall has 12 suites comprising bedrooms and study areas. It opened in 1954 and was largely funded by the gift of Burt Chronister of Kansas City, Kan., in memory of his wife, Ava Douthart Chronister, a 1901 graduate, and her sister Lela Douthart, an 1899 alumna.

Douthart Scholarship Hall is a housing option where students live and study while sharing communal living responsibilities

Downs Residence Hall

This residence hall opened in fall 2017 as part of the Central District development. It houses women and men and is arranged in two- and four-bedroom suites. Features include a full kitchen, laundry rooms on each floor, and a recreation room.

Big Jay exits Downs Residence Hall

Dyche Hall

One of KU’s signature buildings, Dyche Hall was built as the Museum of Natural History in 1901-02 to a design by Kansas City architects Walter C. Root and George W. Siemens; they used the Venetian Romanesque style characteristic of southern European churches of 1050-1200.

The limestone exterior of Dyche Hall is lit brightly by the midday sun

Dyche Hall Grotesques

Joseph Robaldo Frazee and Vitruvius Frazee, 1901-02

The original limestone Dyche Hall grotesques on display inside the Natural History Museum